The Peace Statue
was constructed by sculptor Seibo Kitamura, in 1955 by donations
from all over the world. The purpose was to commemorate the 10th
anniversary of the atomic bombing and to appeal for lasting world peace.
The 10-meter-high bronze statue is highly symbolic. The right hand pointing
skyward warns about the threat of the atomic bomb. The left hand stretching
out horizontally symbolizes world peace. The gently closed eyes represent
a prayer for the repose of the souls of all atomic bomb victims. Just in
front of the statue, there is a black stone box containing the names of
victims. A peace ceremony is held on August 9th every year, and the names
of atomic bomb survivors who died during the year are added to the list.